It takes a range of skills and experiences to be a successful Chair. Here are some of the skills and characteristics we seek when meeting Chair candidates.
EquityChair candidates will:
- Be positively seeking out a hands-on Chair role where they work with the CEO and FD to grow the business and deliver a successful exit for the shareholders;
- Have a strong track record of value creation and exit as FD or CEO within a private equity backed/SME business;
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of how to build strong relationships with investors and lenders;
- Probably have held a previous Chair role within a private equity backed business;
- Have multi-company experience;
- Be credible to CEOs and financial institutions;
- Understand the core drivers of value creation;
- Have relevant but not necessarily direct sector experience of the business in discussion;
- Be able to demonstrate sound business judgement;
- Have strong communication skills and be able to lead by persuasion;
- Be energetic and passionate about business.